GOTHIC POLYCHROME-IRON WALL CLOCK Circa 1590 Germany
GOTHIC POLYCHROME-IRON WALL CLOCK
The sturdy weight-driven three-train iron movement is constructed between four vertical iron bars, secured between top and bottom plates. The going train has a vertical verge escapement with balance, situated between the twin top plates. The quarter-hour striking train, which is controlled by a countwheel, indicates the quarters on the smaller bell, on the hour followed by the hours on the larger bell, the train also being controlled by a countwheel.
The polychrome dial has an off-white Gothic chapter ring with lozenge half-hour divisions, Roman quarter-hour markers, Arabic five-minute and minute divisions. The time is indicated by an attractive pair of iron hands. The corners are embellished by painted figures, depicting the four seasons.
The polychrome-painted iron case has two painted doors to the sides, which give access to the movement and is surmounted by the two superimposed bells, behind three openwork frets, all with painted lions rampant holding a shield. The paintings on the doors depict a vase with very large handles, holding a bunch flowers. The bells are surmounted by a typical Gothic ornament in the shape of two crested bird heads. At the bottom is a shallow gilt moulding suggesting a base, which adds to the well-proportioned appearance of the clock.
Duration 12 hours
Height 44 cm
Width 24 cm
Depth 21 cm
*Price on request
Horloges Gothiques, Musée d’Horlogerie, Le Locle, 1969.
Lothar Krombholz, Frühe Hausuhren mit Gewichtsantrieb, München, 1984