HAGUE CLOCK Jacobus Oosterwijck fecit Rotterdam Ca. 1690 Holland
Signed: Jacobus Oosterwijck fecit Rotterdam
The movement is constructed between brass plates and consists of going and striking trains driven by a single spring barrel. The going train has verge escapement with a short silk-suspended pendulum between cycloidal cheeks. The striking is regulated by an external countwheel and indicates the hours fully on a bell and the half hours with one stroke in passing.
The velvet covered dial has a gilt brass skeletonised Roman chapter ring. It has half-hour and Arabic minute divisions. The time is indicated by a beautiful pair of pierced and engraved gilt brass hands. Below the chapter ring is a gilt brass Chronos figure lying on a signature plaque and seemingly carrying the chapter ring. The maker has signed the clock on this plaque in the following manner: Jacobus Oosterwijck fecit Rotterdam.
The ebony veneered pine case is veneered with padauk and pernambuco wood on the inside, depicting an inlay in the shape of a star. The case is surmounted by a moulded break arch pediment with a turned vase-shaped finial in the gap. The bell is situated behind this pediment. There are also two suspensions eyes at the back of the top panel. The front door is flanked by two twist columns whilst the sides have rectangular glazed windows. The clock has four ball feet.
Duration 1 week
Height 41 cm.
Width 26 cm.
Depth 14.5 cm.
*Price on request
Enrico Morpurgo, Nederlandse klokken- en horlogemakers vanaf 1300, p. 94
H.M. Vehmeijer, Antieke uurwerken, een familieverzameling, p. 611.
Jacob Oosterwijck/Oosterwijk was active as a clockmaker in Rotterdam around 1692. He was one of the sons of the renowned maker Severijn Oosterwijck.
The Oosterwijck family
Severijn Oosterwijck, Jacob’s father, was born before 1637 and probably died between 1690 and 1694. He was married to Sara Jans van Dueren in Rotterdam in 1657 and was active as a clockmaker in The Hague between 1658 (maybe earlier) and 1685. In 1659 he obtained citizenship in The Hague. He rented a house on the west side of a street called Spui with the sign ‘daer uithanckt de Keysers hoet’ (there where the Emperors hat hangs) in 1660. In 1661 he bought another house on the Spui ‘van outs genaemt de drie vergulde Mollen’ (called The Three Moles since time immemorial), where he and his family still lived in 1677. In 1678 he moved to the Brouwersgracht where his widow still lived in 1696. After Coster’s death in 1659 he worked for Christiaan Huygens, who ordered pendulum clocks for foreign buyers. Between 1663 and 1665 he also made several experimental pendulum clocks with seconds pendulums for Huygens, of which one was despatched to William Brouncker, president of the Royal Society in London. In 1688 he founded the Hague Clockmakers’Guild, together with his son Adam and was the first dean. His two other sons, Johan and Jacob, were also clockmakers, respectively in Amsterdam and in Rotterdam. Severijn made among other things a year-going clock. There is a complicated month-going musical table clock, signed Severijn en John Oosterwijck Amsterdam, in Bertele-Bassermann-Jordan’s Uhren on page 206. There was a wall clock with a seconds pendulum and cycloidal cheeks by Severijn Oosterwijck in the former Time-Museum in Rockford, Ill. (USA). The dial of this clock is almost identical to the clock by Thuret in the Museum Boerhaave in Leiden. Plomp depicts two Hague clocks by this maker in Spring-driven Dutch Pendulum Clocks 1657-1710.
Source: Morpurgo, Ottema, Plomp, Volgraff, Von Bertele, Time-museum.