WALL REGULATOR AME JACOB, SOUSCRIPTION No. 2 Ca. 1830 France

Regulators Wall clocks

M&R153

WALL REGULATOR
Signed and marked: AME JACOB, SOUSCRIPTION No. 2
Circa 1830
France

Movement
The superb month-going weight-driven brass movement has a going train only with dead-beat escapement and seconds pendulum with wooden rod. The anchor has jewelled pallets.

Dial
The circular, silvered dial has a Roman chapter ring with five-minute and minute divisions. It is set in a gilt brass bezel and is marked above the middle SOUSCRIPTION No 2 whilst below the middle the maker’s signature is shown AME JACOB. The time is indicated by a pair of blued steel Breguet hands. In addition, there is a balanced sweep centre seconds hand. The winding hole is situated above the VI.

Case
The austere mahogany-veneered pine case has two glazed door at the front, a square one to access the dial and a rectangular one to protect the pendulum. There are mouldings at the top whilst the moulded bottom is a drawer to store the pins with which the doors can be opened.

Duration 1 month

Height 144 cm.
Width 41.5 cm.
Depth 24.5 cm.

*Price on request

Literature
Tardy, Dictionnaire des Horlogers Français, Paris, 1971, p. 319.

The maker:
Aimé Jacob was active at rue Thomassin Lyon around 1838. In 1800 he made his first year-going regulator

Jean-Aimé Jacob was born in Sisteron, Basse-Alpes (nowadays Département Alpes-de-Haute-Provence) on 28 November 1793 (1795 according to ‘la Grande Chancellerie de Légion d’Honneur’). He followed a course to become an instrument and clockmaker at the École Nationale Supérieure d’ Arts et Métiers in Compiègne, where he appeared to have been an excellent student just like his fellow student Jacques Fesche: both received merits for their excellent results at this school.
Jean-Aimé was initially apprenticed as a clockmaker to Pierre-Louis Berthoud in Paris from April 1813. However, Berthoud died in September and his widow Claire-Thérèse Berthoud asked clockmaker Jean-François-Henri Motel to manage Berthoud’s business because her sons Henri and Auguste were still too young and Motel was their master clockmaker. Motel also continued to instruct Jean-Aimé Jacob and Jacques Fesche until 1816.
Later Jean-Aimé Jacob and Jacques Fesche went to work in Breguet’s workshop, honing their skills. Jean-Aimé Jacob started his own workshop in the Rue Colombier in Parijs, signing his clocks with “Amé Jacob, Élève de Breguet”. Around 1834 he worked on the Boulevard Montmartre No. 1. In 1839 he moved to the Rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau 3. Jean-Aimé was extremely active in the field of horology and tried to found a clockmakers school in Paris in vain. Following his initiative the astronomer Arago took over the idea and in October 1832 this school was opened by the ministry of trade, the head being Louis-Frédéric Perrelet.
Shortly after 1840 Jacob established himself in Saint-Nicolas d’Aliermont and began a new workshop. Jean-Aimé Jacob was one of the eminent clockmakers in this place. Saint-Nicolas d’Aliermont and the surrounding towns and villages had acquired an excellent reputation for producing large numbers of travelling clocks (pendules d’officier and also carriage clocks) and so called ‘blanc-roulants’ (unfinished basic clock movements) which had been developed on the basis of the revolutionary ideas of Honoré Pons. Jacob became famous for his chronometers, chronographs and year-going regulators. He developed a seconds stop mechanism for his chronographs.
From 1832 until 1867 he won gold and silver medals as well as distinctions for his clocks and chronometers at various exhibitions in Paris. He also became a member of the jury at the regional exhibition in Rouen in 1856. He was appointed ‘chevalier de légion d’honneur’ (knight of the honorary legion) on 19 November 1859. Jacob collaborated with Frédéric-Bruno Scharf. A two-day marine chronometer, No. 313, is signed and numbered with Jacob et Scharf A St Nicolas No. 313.
Jean-Aimé Jacob died in Dieppe on 30 January 1871, when German troops marched into the town as a result of the Franco-German war. In Saint-Nicolas d’Aliermont a street was named after him in recognition of his work.

 

 

Read more Contact us