LANTERN CLOCK William Sellwood at ye Mermayde in Lothbury Ca. 1640
Signed: William Sellwood at ye Mermayde in Lothbury
Pillar plated movement with a horizontal verge escapement and original balance. Striking work on count-wheel striking the hours on a bell. Going and striking train are weight-driven.
The brass dialplate has a brass ring with black Roman numerals for the hour-indication. The ring has also little stripes for the quarter- indication and between the numerals the half hour-indication. The hour hand is made of blued steel. In the engraved centre of the dial-plate the brass alarm disc.
The brass case with profiled knob feet. On the corners of the case there are profiled finials and between the finials the fretted crestings are placed. The front fret with an escutcheon and the engraved signature William Sellwood at ye Mermayde in Lothbury. The clock is mounted by the bell which is crowned by a brass finial. On both sides the clock has a door.
Duration 12 hours
Height 40 cm
Width 15,5 cm
Depth 17 cm
Literature: – G.H. Baillie, Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World, p. 288.
– W.F.J. Hana, Engelse lantaarnklokken, p. 41.
– B. Loomes, The early clockmakers of Great Britain, p. 486.
William Sel(l)wood, Clockmakers Company 1633 -1652. Lothbury, London.