RELIGIEUSE , Louis Baronneau AParis Ca. 1665
Signed: Louis Baronneau AParis
The two-day movement, driven by a single barrel, is constructed between plates and has a horizontal verge escapement with short pendulum suspended between two cycloidal cheeks. In addition, it has half-hour striking on a bell, regulated by an external count wheel. The maker has signed the backplate: Louis Baronneau AParis.
The velvet-covered iron dial plate has a silvered chapter ring with Roman hour, half-hour and Arabic minute divisions. The clock is wound from the front, the winding hole being near the V. The time is indicated by an exceptionally beautiful pair of silvered pierced and engraved hands. Under the chapter ring is a finely cast silvered cartouche with the signature of the maker: Baronneau AParis.
The ebony-veneered case has doors on both the front and the rear, whilst there are shaped glazed windows to the sides. The glazed front door is tortoise-shell veneered. The inside of the backdoor is walnut-veneered with geometrical line inlays. The bell is situated behind an arched pediment, whilst at the rear of the top there are two suspension eyes. The case is finished with mouldings
Duration 48 hours.
Height 36 cm.
Width 25.5 cm.
Depth 12 cm.
Literature Tardy, Dictionnaire des Horlogers Français, Paris, 1971, p. 31.
Louis Baronneau became master clockmaker in 1653. He is recorded to have been active in Paris in the rue de la Calandre in 1660. In 1661 he became ‘Horloger du Roi et de la Reine’. A year later he is known to have bought movements of J. Chéron à Blois.