STRUT CLOCK WITH TRAVELLING CASE C.F. Hancock LONDON Ca. 1860 England
STRUT CLOCK WITH TRAVELLING CASE
Signed: C.F. Hancock LONDON
The eight day spring-driven plated brass movement consists of a going train only, which has English lever escapement with hairspring balance and regulation.
The richly engraved silvered brass dial has a Roman chapter ring with five-minute and minute divisions. The time is indicated by a pair of blued steel fleur-de-lys hands. The dial is protected by a glass panel set in an engraved gilt brass bezel. The retailer has signed the dial under the chapter ring C.F. Hancock LONDON.
The rectangular gilt brass case is profusely engraved depicting floral and scroll motifs. The sides are similarly engraved. There is a winding hole at the back covered by the strut, which can be folded out by a release button and allows the clock to be situated under an angle. There is also a hatch at the back with the inscription: C.F. Hancock, a Successor of STORR & MORTIMER’S, by appointment to H.M. Queen Adelaide, H.F.M. the Emperor of Russia, 39 Bruton Street London. This springed hatch can be opened by pushing a pin at the top and gives access to the hand setting arbor, indicated by the word ‘hands’, as well as the regulation pin to regulate the movement, the direction of which is supported by the words slow and fast. There is another support in the base of the case which can be turned so that the clock can be positioned upright. The case can also be hung on the wall with the hinged suspension eye at the top.
The clock can be put into its original leather travelling case for reasons of transport. It is lined on the inside with blue velvet, which is printed on one side as follows: C.F. Hancock, a Successor of STORR & MORTIMER’S, Jewellery & Silversmith, To The Queen Adelaide, and his Imperial Majesty, The Emperor of Russia, 39 Bruton St. London.
Duration 1 week
Height 16 cm.
Width 10 cm.
Depth 3 cm. (8.3 cm with folded-out strut)
Hancock & Co is a jeweller in London, founded in 1849 by Charles F. Hancock, former partner of Storr and Mortimer. The first shop was on the corner of Bruton Street and New Bond Street in London. Subsequently the company moved several times. Hancock’s became famous for producing Victoria Cross medals various Royal Warrants. The clock was almost certainly made by Thomas Cole for Hancock.