CARTEL D’ALCOVE L. XV LeLoutre A Paris Ca. 1750 France
CARTEL D’ ALCOVE L.XV
Signed LELOUTRE A PARIS
The eight-day, spring-driven brass movement has circular plates and a going train only, with anchor escapement and short silk-suspended pendulum. The quarter pull repeat is activated by pulling a chord to the side of the clock. The repeat spring in its fixed spring barrel is unusually situated on the front plate. It indicates the hours fully on a bell, followed by the quarter hours with a single stroke. The backplate is signed LE LOUTRE A PARIS.
The circular white enamelled dial has a Roman chapter ring with Arabic quarter-hour, five-minute and minute divisions. The time is indicated by a pair of period pierced and engraved gilt-brass hands. Above the XII is a regulation arbor which controls the length of the silk suspension wire. The maker has signed the clock around the middle of the dial: LE LOUTRE A PARIS.
The firegilt brass case has the typical asymmetric shape of the Louis XV period and is embellished by floral and leaf motifs. The dial is protected by a convex glass set in a gilt-brass bezel. Below the dial is a pendulum aperture, whilst there are sound frets to the sides. The clock is surmounted by ribbon bows, one of which functions as the suspension eye.
Duration eight days
Height 26 cm
Width 18,5 cm.
Tardy, Dictionnaire des Horlogers Français, Paris, 1971, pp. 367/68.
François LeLoutre had his workshop in Paris, where he became a master clockmaker 1741. He worked at the following addresses: 1748 in the Rue Richelieu, 1766 in the Rue de l’Arbre-Sec, in 1769 in the Rue de l’Echelle where he also got married; 1772, Rue St. Nicaise, 1778-83 Cour des Tuileries. He became Horloger du Roi in 1754.