DESIGN TABLE CLOCK E. Gübelin Lucerne Ca. 1920 Switzerland
DESIGN TABLE CLOCK
Signed: E. Gübelin Lucerne
The spring-driven brass movement consists of going and striking trains. The going train has a Swiss lever platform escapement mounted across the plates with regulation. The striking indicates the hours full and the half hours with one stroke. The movement can be accessed from the back via a hinged door. There it can be wound, regulated (the direction indicated by R for retard-slow and A for avance-fast) and the time can be set. In addition, the gong with the striking hammer is situated here.
The square skeletonised dial has Roman hour numerals and inner Arabic quarter-hour and minute decisions in a ring. The time is indicated by a fine pair of pierced gilt brass hands.
The cube-shaped gilt brass case is covered with black horn and has beautiful intricate brass inlays (Boulle marquetry). All sides have facetted glass panels so that the marquetry can be admired without damaging it. The maker has signed the clock on the inlaid vase at the back: E. Gübelin Lucerne. This panel is hinged at the bottom giving access to the movement. The case rests on four ball feet.
Duration: eight days
Height: 11 cm.
Width: 11 cm.
Depth: 11 cm.
– J. Abeler, Meister der Uhrmacherkunst, Wuppertal, 2010, p. 197.
The maker, E. Gübelin:
In 1854 Mauritz Breitschmid opened a watch shop in the Pfistergasse in Luzern. A few years later, in 1861, Eduard Jakob Gübelin was born in East-Switzerland. Later he moved to Luzern where he was apprenticed to Mauritz Breitschmid, the watchmaker. In 1886 Eduard Jakob Gübelin married Bertha Sophia Breitschmid, his former master’s daughter. In the same year the young watchmaker and his father-in-law became associates and formed a business, which they managed together.