A GERMAN BLACK FOREST CLOCK BEARER Ca. 1880
A GERMAN BLACK FOREST CLOCK BEARER
The miniature spring-driven movement has a going train only and is constructed between plates. It has anchor escapement with a short pendulum.
The arched front has a circular enamelled dial with Roman hour numerals and Arabic quarter-hour markers. The time is indicated by a pair of brass hands.
The case of the movement is made of painted steel and is held by a polychrome tin man. He carries another clock on his back, but this has no movement.
Duration one day.
Height 36 cm
Width 16 cm
Depth 14 cm
Clock bearers (German: Schwarzwalder Uhrenträger) were once active in the Black Forest. They earned their living with the sale and repair of clocks, but disappeared with the advent of clock shops. The clock-bearer clocks date back to the nineteenth century when the real travelling clock merchants disappeared. At the time a small factory began to produce clock bearers in memory of the travelling clock merchants: Metal plate figures with a day-going movement on their chest. Each part of the Black Forest had a different clock salesman. The figures were hand-painted, usually in traditional dress.