OCTAGONAL HORIZONTAL TABLE CLOCK Joh. Michael Vogler Ellingen Ca. 1720 Germany
OCTAGONAL HORIZONTAL TABLE CLOCK
Signed: Joh. Michael Vogler Ellingen
The spring-driven plated brass movement has going and striking trains. The former has a chain fusee, intermediate wheels and verge escapement with hairspring balance under a pierced and profusely engraved balance cock. Next to it is a silvered brass regulation disc. The grande sonnerie striking indicates every quarter hour the hours, followed by the quarters on a bell with two sawn-out and engraved hammers. The striking can also be repeated by pressing a button near the XII. The maker has signed the movement on the backplate in the following manner: Joh Michael Vogler.
The octagonal engraved firegilt brass dial has a circular firegilt champlevé chapter ring with Roman hour numerals, lozenge-shaped half-hour, Arabic five-minute and minute divisions. The time is indicated by a fine pair of pierced gilt brass hands. The middle is embellished by two bunches of grapes and the engraved signature of the maker: Vogler Ellingen. There are various engravings around the chapter ring.
The octagonal firegilt brass case has eight glazed rectangular windows. The posts between these windows are embellished by champlevé figures. The bell is situated in the bottom lid, which can be opened with a catch and two blued steel knobs. The clock rests on four turned feet, with between the feet shaped drop finials.
Duration 1 day
Height 9.5 cm.
Diameter 9.5 cm.
J. Abeler, Meister der Uhrmacherkunst, Wupertal, 2010, p. 575.
Johann Michael Vogler was born on 11 March 1670. He was active as a clockmaker in Herrieden near Ansbach. He called himself ‘Uhrmacher und Compaßmacher von Herrieden’ (clockmaker and compass maker of Herrieden). In 1710 he made a clock for the Pfaffkirche in Wilmersdorf. In 1715 he was commissioned to make the clock for the town hall in Neustadt. There are several clocks by his hand known, e.g. several horizontal table clocks and an astronomical wall clock. There are also clocks he made in various museums, e.g. MPS Dresden. He died 22 January 1731.