TRAVELLING CLOCK Ca. 1760 Germany
The day-going, spring-driven movement of this beautiful travelling clock has going, striking and alarm trains. The going train has a chain fusee and verge escapement with balance, hairspring and regulation. The striking indicates the hours fully on a bell. It is controlled by a rack-and-snail system. In addition, the hour last struck can be repeated at all times by pulling a chord (trip repeat). The movement is wound from the back.
The engraved brass dial plate is arched and shaped at the top and has a circular enamelled dial. It has a Roman chapter ring, Arabic five-minute and minute divisions. The time is indicated by a pair of blued-steel hands. There is an elaborately engraved Arabic gilt-brass alarm disc behind the hands to set the alarm. The alarm time is indicated by the tail of the hour hand.
The firegilt-brass case is profusely engraved on the front with floral, leaf and vine motifs, whilst there are shaped glazed windows to the sides, which have engravings in the corners. The glazed backdoor of this travelling clock gives access to three asymmetrical situated winding holes for the three trains, as well as the regulation device. The top of the clock is surmounted by a ring-shaped carrying handle. The repeat button is situated on the top right corner of the case, whereas the bell is attached to the bottom of the case. The clock rests on four shaped and engraved feet.
Duration 30 hours.
Height 19 cm, including the handle
Width 10 cm
Depth 7 cm.