TISCHUHR Christoph Müller Aug Ca. 1660 Germany
Signed: Christoph Müller Aug
The day-going spring-driven movement is constructed between two square firegilt brass plates with steel arbors and brass wheels. The going train is driven via a chain fusee and has verge escapement and balance wheel with a straight hairspring and regulation, a rare and unusual construction. The balance wheel is covered by a beautifully pierced and engraved cock. The striking train indicates the hours fully on a bell and is regulated by a countwheel with Arabic numerals indicating the last hour struck. The maker has signed the movement on the backplate: Christoph Müller Aug.
The firegilt and engraved dial plate has a silvered brass Roman chapter ring with half-hour markers. The time is indicated by a single shaped blued-steel hand. The middle of the dial is elaborately engraved depicting floral and flower motifs. The corners are also engraved in the shape of spandrels with an engraved flower. The edges are moulded and engraved in wheatear pattern. The chapter ring is set in a plain bezel.
The square firegilt brass square case has four glazed windows to the sides, set in silvered brass frames. The top and bottom are moulded. There is a hinged silvered brass lid at the bottom containing the bell, which can be locked with a catch. The clock rests on four silvered brass claw feet.
Christoph Müller (Miller?), Augsburg, was born in 1620, and married in 1643. He was a freeman as a clockmaker in 1643. He died after 1651.
Duration 1 day
Height 8.5 cm.
Width 11 cm.
Depth 11 cm.
J. Abeler, Meister der Uhrmacherkunst, Wuppertal, 2010, blz. 393.