WALL CLOCK Andreas Suhr in Jauer Ca. 1650
Signed: Andreas Suhr in Jauer
The spring-driven day-going double-fusee movement has going and striking trains, constructed between circular brass plates. The going train has verge escapement and a balance wheel under an elaborately pierced and engraved cock. The striking train, regulated by a numbered countwheel, indicates the hours on a bell. The backplate is signed by the maker Andreas Suhr in Jauer.
The velvet-covered iron dial has a silvered brass chapter ring with Roman hour, half-hour and quarter-hour divisions. The pierced and engraved front fret depicts a crowned double-headed eagle with a sword in one claw and a sceptre in the other (Habsburg emblem). The time is indicated by a pierced brass hand.
The circular polychrome case has a backdoor, containing a porkpie bell, giving access to the movement. It is surmounted by a suspension eye. The back of the iron dial and the case are painted brown with off-white scroll motifs.
Duration 24 hours
Height 19 cm
Width 13 cm
Depth 8 cm
J. Abeler, Meister der Uhrmacherkunst,Wuppertal, 2010, p. 551.
Andreas Suhr was active as a clockmaker in Jauer (now Jawor in Poland) in Lower Silesia on the river Neiße (Nysa Szalona), c. 45 miles from Breslau (now Wroclau), in the latter part of the 17th century.