GERMAN RENAISSANCE WALL CLOCK Circa 1560
GERMAN RENAISSANCE WALL CLOCK
The weight-driven steel movement is constructed between vertical bars and consists of going, striking and alarm trains. The going train has a vertical verge escapement with balance. The striking is regulated by a count wheel and indicates the hours fully on a bell. In addition, the movement has an alarm.
The circular, firegilt dial has a Roman chapter ring with half-hour markers. Inside this ring is a turnable silver Arabic ring, which can be moved an hour forward and an hour back to adapt the clock to local time. In the centre is a beautifully engraved firegilt alarm disc with Arabic hour numerals, the alarm time being indicated by the tail of the hour hand. The chapter ring is surrounded by a moulded bezel with touch pins so that the time can be determined in the dark.
The firegilt brass case is profusely engraved depicting scroll, leaf and floral motifs. There are two doors to the sides, whilst the case is surmounted by a bell in a bell strap with four leaves surrounded by four turned finials on the corners. The alarm can be turned on or off on with a slide situated under the bell.
Duration 1 day
Height 21 cm.
Width 10 cm.
Depth 11.5 cm.
For another early German clock, in this case a vertical table clock, with a turnable chapter ring, see K. Maurice, Die deutsche Räderuhr, München, 1976, Vol II, p. 23 and Fig. 98.